In the Bible study I am currently in, we are studying truth upon truth regarding who we REALLY are in Christ. And I know FOR SURE that the tape that reels in my head is not in alignment with the descriptors I am about to share.
Tapes in my mind say things like, “You are annoying. You are a failure. You should do more. People are disappointed in you. You let people down….” And on and on they go. These thoughts lead to feelings and those feelings lead to action. And that is a sad and vicious cycle.
But if I have learned anything recently, it is that my thoughts are optional! They can be CHANGED. Praise. The. Lord. New brain patterns can be established. Anybody else as excited about this?
“The Apostle Paul instructs us to refute arguments, theories and reasonings and lead every thought to be captive under the obedience of Christ. Dr. Caroline Leaf, a well known Christian neuroscientist, has studied this and shares how actual brain scans show the process of renewing our minds. It’s fascinating-and real.
Our “lower brain”, our “flesh”, “our monkey mind” is NOT what we want in the driver’s seat and guiding us. Unfortunately, that’s exactly what happens if we don’t stop and consider what we’re thinking. Some thoughts that just “pop into our heads” are worth letting go.” (Jenn Kautsch)
So let’s do this. Let’s LET GO of the monkey mind thinking!
So we journey on this week, reciting TRUTH about the REAL US…. replacing the bad thoughts with the TRUE thoughts until they become the tape that plays. This takes effort and intentionality…. but y’all…. WE MUST GET THIS. Just like we must replace a bad habit with a good habit…. we must replace the wrong thought with the right thought. We can’t just leave a void space where the bad thoughts once played.
Here are nine more truths. Read them and select one or two that mean the most to you.
- I am a temple, a dwelling place of God. His Spirit and His life dwell in me (1 Corinthians 3:16, 6:19).
- I am united to the Lord and one in spirit with Him (1 Corinthians 6:17)
- I am a member of Christ’s body (1 For. 12:27; Eph 5:30).
- I am a new creation (2 Corinthians 5:17)
- I am reconciled to God and a minister of reconciliation (2 Corinthians 5:18,19)
- I am a child of God and one with others who are in Christ (Galatians 3:26,28)
- I am an heir of God since I am a son of God (Gal 4:6,7)
- I am a saint (Eph 1:1; 1 Corinthians 1:2, Phil 1:1; Colossians 1:2)
- I am God’s workmanship – His handiwork born anew in Christ to do His work (Ephesians 2:10)
Y’all. I can’t even. My brain wants to explode thinking that these things are TRUE OF ME.
God dwells in me?! Yes.
I am ONE with Him?! Yes.
I am NEW!? Yes.
I am a SAINT!? Me!? Yes.
Did I do a thing to deserve this? To earn this?
But it is all true. And I will not STOP until I really believe it!
My biggest hang up (in life I do believe) is my feeling as if I have to EARN the approval of people…. friends, family, acquaintances, God. One slip up and I am OUT. I constantly put myself on a performance wheel trying to stay in the good graces of everyone. And it is EXHAUSTING. And honestly quite sneaky. I don’t even realize I do this. Until I am “out of the club,” feeling low, unworthy and scrambling to climb back up on the wheel.
I am sure this comes from a wound in my past, several actually, but it has created a false belief that God expects the same hamster wheel performance. And it isn’t true. The hamster wheel gospel is no gospel, at all. Jesus replaced my wheel for a Cross and now calls me daughter.
Just like that.
Even in my biggest sin patterns or slip ups …. in my lowest of low days…. he calls me saint, His handiwork, a new creation.
If it sounds crazy…. it is. So counterintuitive and absolutely, amazingly CRAZY! Oh that God of ours! What LAVISH LOVE.
Ok. Your turn….
- Which of these 9 truths penetrate your heart the most? Which truth do you need to hear above the rest?
- Now, take a second to decide which is the most unfamiliar to you. Or which one is the hardest for you to really believe. Write it down and spend some time asking the Lord, “Father, I don’t really get this, at all. Help me understand.” If you have any questions about it, reach out and I would be happy to give you some additional resources.
- What tape plays in your mind? What lies is on repeat? Write it down and REPLACE IT with one of these Truths. Get a notecard and write out the Scripture and put it any and everywhere you can see it today!
I can relate to this so deeply. Thank you for replacing all that I hear and believe about myself with God’s truth. I appreciate you sharing your heart Becky..